Best sgf viewer (Windows)? Collection of good study games for download? Hex, Havannah

7 replies. Last post: 2020-08-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Best sgf viewer (Windows)? Collection of good study games for download?
  • add3993 at 2020-08-22

As suggested, I'd like to rapidly browse a large number of games between strong players.  Doing so on LG is slow.  If such are available anywhere in a single download / by request, I'd be grateful.  And I still haven't found an sgf viewer/editor I'm happy with.

Request: for strong bot authors, if the software is to remain private, a collection of 50+ self-play games for study would still be greatly appreciated.

• HappyHippo at 2020-08-22

They're not really “downloadable”, but if you'd like to quickly browse a large number of well played games, you can look at my opening move database of games played at lg. Click on a move to see the follow-ups.

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-08-22

Oh, nice database Hippo!

Filters for rating and date would be particularly useful on top of that. I would be happy to help in case you need a hand.

• HappyHippo at 2020-08-23

Thanks Arek

Filtering on rating can be problematic, because player ratings change with time. For example shalev's rating has dropped below 1500, but he's obviously a great player. I'm not aware of any way to get historical rating data either (besides parsing those rating charts? But that sounds like a pain…). Filtering on date (or rather, game number) would be pretty straightforward.

The site is static (including all the game data) and the code isn't obfuscated at all if you want to just download it and play around.

• add3993 at 2020-08-23

Thanks HappyHippo for yet another fantastic resource!

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-08-24

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-08-24

My manual filter results:

1) a10 is spoiled by my stubborn attempts vs gzero :)

2) shockingly f3 and g3 look very bad in practice!

3) it's more practical to play c12 or a13 instead of c2 which is unjustifiably the most common choice

Return to forum

Reply to this topic