Using an opening database during a game? Hex, Havannah

12 replies. Last post: 2020-11-04

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Using an opening database during a game?
  • David J Bush ★ at 2020-11-01

What do you all think about using an opening database such as http://www.mseymour.ca/hexdb.html during a game? IMO it's okay to use as long as it remains relatively incomplete. If it becomes so comprehensive that it can allow players to reach relatively easy winning positions, then we have a problem.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2020-11-01

I feel it's a great idea, we should absolutely allow it, especially against bots! :D

David, for me the most important thing is to play well, as you know already!

• richyfourtytwo at 2020-11-02

Traditionally opening databases are allowed in correspondence settings. If a game is solved (or nearly solved) it is time to move on to a larger board (if the game allows that, which hex does).

• Tom Ace at 2020-11-02

Maybe I have a minority view here but I prefer games played without referring to opening databases.

• P_Guz at 2020-11-03

What is the source of data? I do not mind having such database, as probably to make a real advantage of it you need a huge volume of data from pro players games. In other case it is only for statistics and it would be difficult to make real benefit from it in games.

• P_Guz at 2020-11-03

Oh, actually it is not about the first move, but the whole game. Oh, yeah actually it can be difficult to play against `such a player`.

• HappyHippo at 2020-11-03

My view is that a turn-base site like this is like playing correspondence chess. My understanding is that the rules in correspondence chess are that you can consult materials such as books and opening databases, but you can't consult other players or computer engines. So I would say yes. Of course, I'm biased ;)

On a real-time site I would say no, since that's more like over-the-board chess.

• vstjrt at 2020-11-03

Actually if we take Correspondence Chess as leading example, then the problem became more complicated. We have pre-computer CC and post-computer CC. I think that we cannot follow new Correspondence Chess, because this would mean, that any help from computer is allowed. In old CC there was opening databases, but there was in paper books, which was much more difficult to take help from and was much less comprehensive. There is no guardian of this site, so it's more about own judgement. But in games I play (although mainly not Hex, but GO and Chess) I look for opening database only AFTER game is finished. This have educational values, but not artificially improve strength of playing.

• mmKALLL ★ at 2020-11-03

I'm inclined to agree with vstjrt: please do use it and learn from it, but only during post-game analysis.

• P_Guz at 2020-11-04

Is this database still feeded?

• HappyHippo at 2020-11-04

I do an update every few months. It's semi-automated (I just run a script and upload the results)

• gi0cam at 2020-11-04

I think like Tom, vstjrt, and mmKALLL

Return to forum

Reply to this topic