There will be an MSO tournament on Boardspace after all TWIXT PP

13 replies. Last post: 2020-08-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

There will be an MSO tournament on Boardspace after all
  • David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-23

There will be a free real time Twixt tournament on Boardspace.net on 21 August, at 2:30 pm New York time, 7:30 pm London time, under the auspices of the MSO. There will be a 5 round Swiss followed by a playoff in the unlikely event of a tie score. The time control will be 15 minutes per player per game. The director will announce pairings in some game window or perhaps on a discord server. The details have not been finalized yet.

To play in the tournament, first you must register on Boardspace. That same page talks about using a java plugin or Java Web Start to use the client. I recommend you log on there and play Twixt against the dumb bot or another human to get used to the site and how the game window works. You can select between a perspective view with four rotations, or an overhead view. The clock counts UP and the tournament director has the authority to forfeit your game if you exceed a total of 15 minutes.

To be eligible for a medal, which will be awarded to the top three placers, you must  register at the MSO which is also free, but you will need to check a box that says you agree to give MSO access to your webcam during the event.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-23

If you want a slower time control, please post your preference here. I don't know if it will make any difference, but I will send an email to Etan Ilfeld with your names and stated preferences if you agree.

Also I posted on BGG.

• kspttw at 2020-07-23

I don't think that the same number of points is an unlikely event. Maybe for first place - but what if it will happen for 3rd place, and for example, more than 2 players have the same score?

• kspttw at 2020-07-24

There are some programs for swiss pairing with additional score (like sum points of your opponents) - especially for chess.

I think they have something for that - if not Swiss Perfect 98 is quite simple and enough for such tournament.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-24

Well no one (except myself) seems to mind about 15 minutes per player per game, so I guess that is the way it will be. As time passes and we approach the 21st of August, the less likely it will become that Etan (from the MSO) and Dave Dyer from Boardspace (who will be running the tournament) will change their minds. I'm not in control of anything here. I'm just relaying information. I could send Etan an email, but if I'm the only signatory, it's not likely to be very persuasive.

It is possible that, to play in the tournament, you MUST register with the MSO after you register on Boardspace. I don't know how long it will take for MSO information to relay to Boardspce, so I recommend you do all that at least a week before the tournament starts, which would be August 14. I asked Dave, if someone were to show up on the day of the tournament and the Tournament director has not been told by the MSO that this person is registered for the tournament, will this person be allowed to play? He said he would ask the MSO about it. That was yesterday, the 23rd of July. He hasn't gotten back to me as of this post.

It would probably be a good idea for all prospective players to get on Boardspace and play some Twixt, against the bot or another human. Then post here about what you liked and what you didn't like. I have already asked Dave to provide an option to turn off the tick tock sound that occurs whenever you take more than about 30 seconds to make a move. He will probably fixed that. Maybe it is fixed already. Anyway the more used to the Board Space experience you are, the fewer surprises you will encounter during the tournament.

• kspttw at 2020-07-25

I think something between 15 and 30 min should be used for this tournament. But I never played Twixt online, so it hard to say.

Maybe you should take into account some extra time for change links and dealing with new, a little strange site and interface.

But still it seems shorter game than hex 14x14 for which we have 22,5 minutes.

• CosimoC at 2020-07-25

As sometimes occur to me, I read only now this post. Of course, 15 minutes for the whole game is not appropriate. In the past years, in London, we played with 20 minutes for the whole game and this fact yielded fast and inaccurate games. Of course, it depends of what you would like to do. If you need a fast game, without deep thoughts and brilliant strategies, even 10 minutes are enough, but this is not Twixt, as I wrote previously.

In London, I played Oware with 15 minutes for the whole game, but it was added a 5 second Bronstein time increment, because the act of sowing seed into the holes require at least this time increement. I believe that 15 minutes with a 5 second Bronstejn time increment could be a fair choice also for Twixt, if the tournement must finish in the allotted time. Otherwise, I prefer to return to the 20 minutes for the whole game (and I lose at least a couple of games and a couple of medals, due to time…).

• Tasmanian Devil at 2020-07-25

But playing online probably saves you a few seconds on each move compared to live. Which would mean that 15 minutes is not as short as it sounds when you use live games as a reference.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-25

Neither increment nor delay per move is implemented on Boardspace. Also the clock counts UP. If you exceed 15 mnutes the server does nothing special, the clock just keeps counting up. But the tournament director might forfeit the player who oversteps.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-07-28

It turns out, you do NOT need to register with the MSO to play in the Boardspace tournament. But you do need to register on the MSO, preferably a week or more in advance, to be eiligible for a medal. Be sure to tell the MSO what your handle is on Boardspace.

• kspttw at 2020-08-02

Do you know what the pairing will look like, where will they announce it?

I will play two events onBoardspace and I'm not sure that everything will be without any problems.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-08-04

Pairings and other tournament info will be in a specific game table. There should be a message in the main lobby telling you what table to go to.

You could message Dave Dyer, the admin of Boardspace.net if you want more info.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-08-20

Some first round pairings are already up on Challonge. If you want to play, you must be registered with a handle on Boardspace and present at 2:30 pm New York time, 7:30 pm London time.

Unlike the Hex tournament that took place today on Board Game Arena, late arrival means you will not participate, according the the tournament director and server administrator Dave Dyer.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic