Interest in "teaching game"? TWIXT PP

16 replies. Last post: 2021-02-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Interest in "teaching game"?
  • shyryan ★ at 2021-01-24

It's a tradition in Go (my first board game obsession) for stronger players to play a “teaching game” with weaker ones, where you talk about the game as it happens, point out mistakes, reveal your thought process, and generally try to help steer weaker players in a stronger direction. Would anyone be up for doing this in Twixt?

I would be down to help out players ranked below me the best I can (and would probably learn a lot from them too) and I would definitely love to hear what stronger players have to say. And really an open game between similarly-ranked players would probably lead to a lot of fruitful discussion as well.

We could do an unrated tournament, and poach some no-move games from the commentator site for in-depth mid-game analysis when the LG message system isn't cutting it.

Reply if you're interested and if we get a few folks, I'll start a series!

• testingqwerty at 2021-01-24

Hi Shyryan,

I'm trying to branch out from Amazons, and I think Twixt is the next game I'd like to learn. Feel free to send me a challenge, and I'd love to participate in this!

• shyryan ★ at 2021-01-25

Accepted your challenge. : )

• ypaul21 at 2021-01-25

I’m interested in joining! I’m consistently amazed at how strong players can completely dominate the game within the first few moves. I’m usually very lost in the opening phase, and it feels really hard to improve my play in this aspect on my own.

• Florian Jamain at 2021-01-25

I would like to do something like this, about TwixT, about games in general to support the community.

Not only playing games on LG, we can study positions, play some short games directly on commentators and many things.

If I do this I will do it with a stream so that multiple players could make some comments or watch the video later.

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-01-25

Another tradition from Go is a system of handicaps. IMO the best way to handicap Twixt is row handicapping. This is implemented for both turn based and real time play. Please message me if you are interested. My email is twixtfanatic atsymbol gmail period com

Florian, if you are streaming some time maybe you would like to play me live, either on Game Center or on Boardspace? Boardspace has nice time control options now. Just let me know when you want to play.

• add3993 at 2021-01-25

is it possible to record (and link to) some of these teaching games with commentary provided?  that would be great.  I've only found a few briefly-commented games.

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-01-25

Games with commentary? Do you mean, besides the analysis site? 562 so far.

• ypaul21 at 2021-01-26

I think it would be nice if a group of experienced players could pick out a few of those analyses that they feel are most insightful to a learner. There is a lot of knowledge in there, but it's hard to just jump right in. There's also a good chance that a lot of really good discussions over the years will get buried under the ever growing number of archived games. Maybe we could set up a thread or a wiki page somewhere to showcase the best of the Twixt commentotor website, and add to it whenever we encounter something that's particularly noteworthy.

• Florian Jamain at 2021-01-26

Of course David, I knew that you would be interested! When it's question of playing TwixT you can be sure that David is motivated :D

I created the whole thing, I guess I'm ready to start this, I gonna make a topic soon.

• add3993 at 2021-01-27

Thanks, David, I didn't realize.  Echoing ypaul's comment — it would be good to have a smaller but focused collection.

It seems like twixt-commentator is also just about usable as a framework for posing problems with written, branching solutions.  That's cool, and another high-value target.

• David J Bush ★ at 2021-01-27

If you want to ask a question about any position which is not necessarily from any game, or post a puzzle,  you can do this by using an “empty” LG game, which is a finished game with zero moves. Here are a dozen of them Please use them from first to last, so I can keep the list updated.

\|     2061455 \|  2067447 \|  2067454 \|  2067455 \|  2067458 \|  2073577 \|  2073583 \|  2073587 \|  2077853 \| 2081756 \|  2081758 \| 2081759 \|

Of course the position has to be reachable in a legal game. Enter the moves by clicking on holes. Then paste the move list into your comment.

I recommend you use Jtwixt if you want to compose a puzzle. Details on request.

• Florian Jamain at 2021-01-29

In 30min a new stream on TwixT will start let say for intermediate players.

• shyryan ★ at 2021-01-29

I just sent in my membership fee. Whenever it takes effect and I come back to the site, I'll start an unrated tournament for anyone who wants to play games and talk about them while playing.

• shyryan ★ at 2021-02-07

Created!

https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1206

• shyryan ★ at 2021-02-20

Today is the last day to sign up for the unrated teaching and talking tournament:

https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1206

In this tournament, you are encouraged to share your strategy with your opponent, ask questions, comment on one another's moves, and just generally talk openly about what's on your mind. : )

Return to forum

Reply to this topic