Analysis site: Alan is on the case TWIXT PP

14 replies. Last post: 2023-07-02

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Analysis site: Alan is on the case
  • David J Bush ★ at 2023-04-09

As you likely have already noticed, the analysis site is unreachable.

If anyone knows about SQL and Ruby and would like to help, I could post Alan's description of the problem.

• William Fraser at 2023-04-09

I know a bit and love a good puzzle.

• David J Bush ★ at 2023-04-09

Okey dokey.

Ohhh, this is not good. Yippy won't boot. I can boot to safe mode and poke around as root. Things are still there, but things aren't working. If I try to start the Rails server, it complains that a pids file already exists. But it doesn't exist. At the very least, I need to start Rails to start the mysqld daemon properly – and I can't even start it improperly. And I need to start that, at the very least, to backup the database. My last backup was 7 months ago, on Aug 7, 2022.

• William Fraser at 2023-04-09

Nope. Not the sort of thing I can do much about remotely.

I sure hope this gets resolved, as I know that players on this site (and possibly elsewhere) will miss it….

• bob440 at 2023-04-09

just curious and I don't really expect an answer …

if you haven't yet been able to figure out what it IS, have you made any progress in figuring out what it ISN'T?

sometimes, that was the only way we could figure out a bug

• Alan Hensel at 2023-04-09

William is right - not much anyone can do remotely. I was merely trying to communicate the situation.

I got some help from ChatGPT, which was remarkably helpful (!)

We concluded that what happened on April 8 was a hardware failure in the network card. In this little machine, that is built into the motherboard. The best bet is to buy a new little machine (I'm thinking Raspberry Pi) and stand the server up again.

That might take a few weeks.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that ChatGPT was able to get me over the issue of how to restart MySQL to back up the latest Twixt database. Now I have that backup, so when I eventually bring the server up again on a new machine, it should be up-to-date as of April 8, 2023.

Now I need to go shopping…

• Alan Hensel at 2023-04-10

Oh, what the heck! It wasn't the network card after all. It was home wiring.

Commentator is back now.

• William Fraser at 2023-04-10

Congrats!

And amazing that GPTChat was able to help!

• Alan Hensel at 2023-06-18

Well, due to technical issues, Twixt Commentator is down again. You are all going to have to live without it for a while, possibly until the end of June. Sorry!

• David J Bush ★ at 2023-06-20

Jtwixt has not been maintained, requires an older version of Java, and has lots of flaws, but is still possible to run. I can try to help anyone with questions about that. It can handle sizes 24 and 30 but not 48. There is a way to import the Little Golem SGF text file for a game, which involves editing that file. I don't know where you can find an executable jar file for Windows. Maybe someone else does?

• bob440 at 2023-06-21

isn't a jar file “executable” on all platforms with the appropriate jre?

• David J Bush ★ at 2023-06-22

I believe there are different mouse and keyboard input details that make the Mac/Linux version less than ideal for Windows. Two versions were available on Kevin's download page.

• Alan Hensel at 2023-06-29

Commentator should be back now. Let me know if you have any issues.

• David J Bush ★ at 2023-07-02

Thank you Alan!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic