How old are You?

Public forum discussion.

#1 · KPT

8 Mar 2007

how old are you?

#2 · Dvd Avins

8 Mar 2007

46

#3 · Pawel Grabowski

8 Mar 2007

23

#4 · KPT

8 Mar 2007

19

#5 · Dustin

9 Mar 2007

23

#6 · Nagy Fathy

9 Mar 2007

41

#7 · Ed Collins

9 Mar 2007

As of today (Thursday evening, March 8th, 2007) I'm approximately 45.3479452055 years old.

(With that information, it should be possible to figure out my birth date.)

#8 · Ray Garrison

9 Mar 2007

as of today (March 8, 2007) I am exactly 16,375 (days, that is)

#9 · KPT

9 Mar 2007

happy birthday! Ray

#10 · Eduard

9 Mar 2007

34

#11 · ypercube

9 Mar 2007

7th of November, Ed ?

#12 · MichaeI X

9 Mar 2007

That thread lost something during the Big Break:

Now , I'm 54

Who grew even older than me?

#13 · Looser

9 Mar 2007

24

#14 · KPT

9 Mar 2007

hey ray?

how old are u :s!

im confuse

#15 · ypercube

9 Mar 2007

Ray is 16.375 days old.

#16 · Eduard

9 Mar 2007

Ray will be 45 in May 8th :). Ed is 7th November, I'm 6th November :), Scorpio too.

#17 · Hans-Peter

9 Mar 2007

51

#18 · klaashaas

9 Mar 2007

31

#19 · Marius Halsor

9 Mar 2007

33

#20 · Ed Collins

9 Mar 2007

Alright, where did I go wrong? I'm November 12th.

Subtracting 11/12/1961 from 3/8/2007 in Excel gives 16,552 days. I confirmed this number with a birthday calculator Javascript I found online, which reported the exact same thing.

(16,552 / 365 = 45.3479452055.

About an hour after I posted my answer, I thought dividing by 365.25 would probably have given an even more accurate answer (45.3169062286... yea... I'm not as old as I thought) but I still don't see how November 7th was arrived at working backward from 45.3479452055.

#21 · bachkiesel

9 Mar 2007

dont know exactly. Dont evan ask a stone how old he is. some million years i guess. ;-)

#22 · Marius Halsor

9 Mar 2007

Actually, I get November 2nd. 0.3479452055 = 127 days, thus, you're 45 years and 127 days old. 127 days ago was November 2nd.

This way eliminates the problem with years with 366 days. Being over 45 years old, your calculation gives an extra 10 days for those years (year 2000 had only 365 days).

#23 · isometry

9 Mar 2007

No, 2000 was a leap year. Every 100th year has only 365 days, but every 400th year has 366 days.

#24 · ypercube

9 Mar 2007

16552 = 45 * 365 + 127.

I took 127 for 121. If I had done correctly, I would have arrived at 1st of Novemeber. The diffrenece of 11 days between 1st and 12th of November are the 11 leap years between 1961 and 2006.

#25 · Eduard

9 Mar 2007

yper, you fooled me :)

#26 · Marius Halsor

9 Mar 2007

Right, 2000 was a leap year. So it's 11 extra days. I must have counted one day wrong, 'cause then I should get November 1st.

#27 · Abigail

9 Mar 2007

Using 365.25 for the length of a year is right for the Julian calendar, but we've been Gregorian for a while. 365.2425 is the average number of days in a year.

Now dividing 16552 with 365.2425 gives 45.31783677967377838011... However, giving numbers with that accurance would mean pinpointing your time of birth to a less than second precision. Depending on your time of birth, and the moment you made your posting, you were at the time of posting between 45.315 and 45.321 years old.

#28 · FatPhil

9 Mar 2007

Let me be the first 36-year-old to own up to so being.

#29 · Theo van der Storm

9 Mar 2007

> 18 hours ago

> Dvd Avins ..

small world.

#30 · luke

9 Mar 2007

18

#31 · KPT

9 Mar 2007

wow..a new puzzle topic

hehe

please put only your age

#32 · isometry

9 Mar 2007

your age

#33 · KPT

9 Mar 2007

wljkakjlakja

#34 · elliot

9 Mar 2007

16

#35 · pitirre

9 Mar 2007

ufff, i just turned 40 a few days ago.

#36 · Kd Hoffmann

9 Mar 2007

48 plus 11/12

#37 · alneyan

10 Mar 2007

I'm approximatively 637547000 seconds old. I'm bored too.

#38 · Ricardo (Santos)

10 Mar 2007

Interesting... shouldn't it be: "how old are you measured in a unite which is most useful as a specific period of time for person?" or somethink like that...

In my opinion in general a second is to short to make something useful of, even a minute, but an hour can be very useful or a day, a week, a month and a year are all too long for one specific task. I think we should measure our age either in days or in hours ;)

#39 · collegestudent

10 Mar 2007

18..i feel so young

#40 · Adam Dzedzej

11 Mar 2007

1D

#41 · jurjen

12 Mar 2007

my age is the 20th century, this 21st is far too hectic for me.

#42 · KPT

12 Mar 2007

century..

1D

637547000...

#43 · richu333

12 Mar 2007

21

#44 · Loïc Boisnier

12 Mar 2007

28

#45 · Foul Ole Ron

12 Mar 2007

34

#46 · Robin

12 Mar 2007

Replace the letters of your name by numbers (a=1, b=2, c=3, etc). Put those numbers in an equation to get your age. Warning! You may not change the order of your numbers. You can only use these symbols: \* / + - ( )

Example:

Name: Robin

Age: 24

R=18, O=15, B=2, I=9, N=14

18 - (15 + 2) + 9 + 14 = 24

#47 · isometry

12 Mar 2007

I=9 S=19 O=15 M=13 E=5 T=20 R=18 Y=25

(9+19)/(15+13) + 5 + 20 - 18 + 25 = 33

#48 · maraca

12 Mar 2007

maraca=13,1,17,1,3,1 -> (-13+1+17)*(1+4)+1 = 21

#49 · maraca

12 Mar 2007

oops sorry

maraca = 13, 1, 18, 1, 3, 1 -> (-13+1+18+1)*3*1 = 21

#50 · Eduard

13 Mar 2007

Eduard= 5, 4, 21, 1, 18, 4 -> -5+4+21*1+18-4=34