Waiting room frustration

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Kevin O'Gorman

16 Jul 2024

I am having trouble using the waiting room (in Hex). I can register, it seems, but I cannot figure out how to start a game with someone else who is registered.

What am I missing?

#2 · David J Bush

17 Jul 2024

My understanding is that the waiting room is all about waiting.
You could always invite someone directly to an unrated game.

#3 · BozoDel

17 Jul 2024

The wating room is my preferred method for getting new games because it allows me to get one single game at a time. But sometimes, indeed, you can wait for a long time, at least for Dameo. Hex seems more popular, so you might have to wait less.

When players register for games in the waiting room, the system will try to match registered players, as long as the options match (you can limit the max difference to opponent's ratings, for example). But it doesn't happen immediately. My best guess is that the system tries to match players once a day. And if there's no one else in the waiting room who wants to play that variant of that game, then you'll keep waiting.

I get the impression that most folks on Little Golem prefer tournaments, and ignore the waiting room. People seem to like the ladders as well.

If you, like me, want at most a small number of games, and you lose patience with the waiting room, the ladder might be the next best choice.

#4 · haakje

17 Jul 2024

If I want some single dameo games I usually challenge some people in the ladder tournament. Works quite well ))

#5 · The_Burglar

18 Jul 2024

Waiting