#1 · MisterCat
17 Oct 2024
Hello. I see how Richard has altered the monthly cups - and he even did this in the Championships, for a time. Let's just focus on the monthly (or 'mini', as he now calls them now) cups.
Now, we face each player TWICE, once going first, once going second, in each tournament. I am not comfortable with this.
OK, now we have twice the number of games to complete SIMULTANEOUSLY, still within the 10 day time limit (admittedly, with 36 hour increments). This is twice as much work and takes twice as much personal time. At least that is true for me, and personally I am not happy about it.
There exists a 'silly' situation whereby, if each player copies the other players moves for the entire game, then either both games end drawn, or the match MUST be split - since, for instance, if the first player wins both games. Recently I played a 4-in-a-row mini cup where I saw precisely that happening; I don't believe this was intentional, but my opponent and I were both making the same moves; I addressed this issue with my opponent, but alas, he did not seem to grasp my point. I actually was put in an uncomfortable position of deliberately NOT making the same moves he made, even though this limited my choices. (naturally I lost both games, but to a MUCH STRONGER player, so, no problem)
I know that there was some discussion many months back over at the Twixt forum, where I disagreed with David B. on this exact issue. (not to my point here, but David's argument was that the swap rule in Twixt removes the first player advantage; reasonable, but read on) However, I was citing the common arrangement in master level Chess tournaments, whereby they are arranged as double round robins. This is true - but with an important difference: players don't play the same player twice, SIMULTANEOUSLY. Round one occurs, IS COMPLETED, and then the next round occurs with opposite 'colors'. Now, THIS SORT OF ARRANGEMENT would, in fact, COMPLETELY SOLVE BOTH OF MY OBJECTIONS above.
Richard could do that here - but he would have to change his software somewhat, to create two-round tournaments, as I described.
Sometimes I address issues like this directly with Richard, who I have found to be cooperative with well-meaning suggestions. However, I'm posting here first, since - if folks agree with me, then I'll try to persuade Ricard to change things, but if folks disagree, then I guess I'll leave things alone. I am looking forward to comments.
(meow)