Public forum discussion.
17 Jan 2025
One of my opponents recently forfeited on time against me. He already ran out of his 5 vacation days. He hasn't been online since Christmas Eve, and I know his game time against me went down to zero.
But his game time in about a dozen other games had not yet reached zero. They were forfeited this morning along with his game against me.
I doubt he will log in during the few more days it would have taken for his time to run out normally in all those games. Still, it seems odd to me. I cannot predict the future. If I run out of vacation days, and then run out of time in one game, will I lose other games where I have not yet run out?
Given that this is Friday the 17th, I would imagine there are other similar players who have forfeited games this day. Could anyone who has been watching opposing time please corroborate? Thank you.
20 Jan 2025
I suspect that nothing went wrong here and that he lost on time the normal way.
It looks like the games he lost on time had his move starting around the same time as in your game. And several of his games still have time left on them, including one in that same tournament (because his opponent didn't make their opening move for a few days).
I'm wondering how you determined that he still had time on his clock in those games. I know that once you load a page, the numbers don't update, so you need to record both the time the page was loaded and the time left in order to predict how much time a player has left at some point in the future....
In curiosity,
bill
21 Jan 2025
I was paying particular attention to all of his games, which were all Twixt games on large grids (30 and 48.) I knew it was my one of my games with him that was running down to 0 hours and triggering his final vacation days for 2025. his next closest game had about an additional 100 hours buffer, which each vacation day would add 24 hours to. There were about a dozen such games, all of which forfeited on the same morning mine did. Yes he still has a few games left. I didn't record any of this and I don't know any way to prove it. One weird bit of data is his "moves played" statistic which is exactly 100. Maybe that was his goal here, just to make 100 moves and then bug out.