Happy Pi-day

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Carroll

14 Mar 2026

Would one of the old folks here remember a thread pertaining to a mathematical game looking like tug-of-war we tried to analyze back in the days ?
It went like this, two players have a budget of 50 coins, there is a pawn at the center of a line of n squares. Each turn the players bid so many coins and the one with biggest bid push the pawn and wins if he reach the end of the board.
Someone after a few days managed to compute a Nash equilibrium (I learned about this then long before it was a trend to solve poker), and all I remember is that this equilibrium showed you should bid mych mote even than odd.
This oddity always puzzled me, I asked chatgpt to solve this game and in a few minutes he found a Nash equilibrium with the same oddities but capped between 1 and 7.
I'd like to reread the thread but it seems to have disappeared.
Maybe we should revive the best old threads (oldies but goldies)?

#2 · Carroll

14 Mar 2026

Sorry for the typos, the main sentence was "you should bid much more even bids that odds ones".
Chatgpt "thinks" it may be to avoid draws a bit like "chose your side of the road to drive".

#3 · William Fraser

15 Mar 2026

I recall encountering this game at IJCAI '97. I think it was called "Alice"?

#4 · Carroll

15 Mar 2026

Thanks William, I could not find it on IJCAI 1997 web page, would you remember more, I guess the name used here when we analyzed it was different.

I see there was a Domineering and Dots and Boxes tournament for a $1000 price. I think it is the one organized by Elwyn Berlekamp referred here ?
There are many wonderful videos with regretted John Conway put out by Simons Foundation recently.

#5 · William Fraser

15 Mar 2026

Here's the paper:

http://ch.meyer.free.fr/Ijcai.htm

(Rereading the paper, I see that the game was called "ALESIA".)

I know that Dr. Berlekamp organized a number of tournaments. I competed in both of those at IJCAI '97 -- I did pretty well in the dots and boxes (perhaps second?) but horribly in domineering.