Public forum discussion.
4 Sep 2011
This is an interesting mini shogi game for many reasons. One, it is a long game (63 moves-I have had only one other game more than 60 moves, a 67 move game against the same opponent!) Marius blundered a piece on move 27, but then he sacrificed another piece and he had only two rooks versus my large army (most of them in reserve) and his two rooks put up a very dangerous attack for about 20 moves(I think he may have missed something in that stretch). Then, I built a shelter for my King and walked it over to his starting square to win! Has anyone else won a game by this method of marching the king?
Ray Garrison vs. MRFvR 2:0
4 Sep 2011
Obviously I wasn't aware that reaching opponent's starting King position was a win, otherwise I would have tried something else (although it was probably already too late altogether). Anyway, it was indeed a very fun game: thanks for it and congrats, Ray! 8-)
18 Sep 2011
I never heard of that rule :S but it is pretty interesting.
22 Nov 2017
I have just won another game with this method, this time it was a key game with a very strong player (Diamante who was 39-2 !!), and the key game to the 19th mini shogi championship:
https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1887539
He was not aware of the rule, but I was already winning by material, and built an unstoppable path for my king to march to his starting square...