#1 · MisterCat
18 Sep 2017
So where is unique when we need him, eh? Up to me, then.
The exciting semifinals are here, starting Tuesday, 9/19. One semi pits Wesley So vs. Ding Liren. The other one has Levon Aronian facing MaximeVachier-Lagrave.That's U.S. (by way of Philippines) vs. China, and Armenia vs. France. I think it is excellent that Chess has successfully spread world wide, and that one country does not dominate any more.
Picks: really tough matches and could go any way. As much as I would like So to succeed, I am picking Liren; these two have faced off many times, and play about even thus far. Liren has a team with him providing him with enormously successful training and opening preparation, but So can not match that. My pick is Liren. Both Aronian and MvL are at the top of their games these days (see, for example, Sinquefeld Cup). MvL has the edge in head to head games. While Aronian is rated higher, MvL seems to have had a tougher draw to reach the semis. (Neither Svidler or Ivanchuk are exactly pushovers, but I expected both to lose because they each seem to always collapse in high pressure situations.) Also, Aronian might be distracted by his upcoming wedding. I will pick Vachier-Lagrave to win this.
MvL beats Ding in the final. I see more world class experience playing a role in this one.
(meow)