#1 · MisterCat
24 Apr 2020
I wanted to address this to fellow Chess players here - even though it references the game of Twixt. I am an experienced, rated Chess player, and something has been bothering me for a few years now ...
Chess software has risen to rating heights easily surpassing humans. I watched, as first they achieved measly 2900 strengths (accessible to 'some' humans), and then proceeded into the 3000 + territory. Humans were getting CREAMED in 'fair' matches (I have a point coming); remember how Hydra demolished Michael Adams? How about when Nakamura lost an 'odds' match (so computers can spot a 2800 human a KNIGHT, and still win!). I always thought that these matches were UNFAIR, instead of being played fairly.
My point is that 1. Humans were NOT allowed assistance, say, of opening encyclopedias, endgame databases (Reuben Fine would have been nice), etc. 2. the computation speed is a mismatch: given the speed that computers can process data, why should humans have been limited to the same time controls?
Chess is a fascinating, DEEP game full of nuance and complexity. I always had a feeling that humans could BEAT computers, if we eliminate their 'unfair playing advantages'. Here is what I'd like to see:
1. Human has free access to complete opening databases; computers ALREADY have this data anyway, so this is perfectly fair. Remember Kasparov's famous loss to Deep Blue in a tricky line of the Caro-Kan? This doesn't happen if he has a database.2. Likewise, human has access to endgame table-bases, which computer already has.3. The 'game' remains fair - no knight odds, or pawn odds, or move odds - BUT, the fact that computers process at the speed they do means humans should have UNLIMITED TIME! Time pressure means nothing to a computer - it processes so fast, it ALWAYS has time available. Why should the human have any less?4. Here is the klinker: let humans 'cheat'! All I mean here is that humans should be free to consult with each other, team up, etc. This is not 'really' cheating, if the point is to prove that humans can analyze Chess positions in a way that algorithms can not match, in a FAIR PLAYING FIELD. I believe (or at least HOPE) that human's understanding of positional play will surpass the computer's tactics - once we eliminate human error (the point of the teams), time pressure (no, or generous time control) and knowledge (databases and table-bases).
I would love to see a team comprised of Carlsen, Nakamura, Caruana and Ding play against Stockfish or Leela Zero under THESE conditions.
WHAT CAN I OFFER AS EVIDENCE?
I don't know how many of you followed my recent experiment over at the Twixt play area. 'Twixtbot' had been recently upgraded by a talented programmer to use the same sort of processing as Alpha Zero (champion in Go, Chess, etc.). As a result, the Twixtbot was CLEARLY DOMINATING all of the best human players. It lost very infrequently, and if you want, you can see the records. It's record against our former champions is, frankly, a bit depressing. But ALL of these games were played under 'equal' conditions, and in my opinion, these conditions were unfair.
So I arranged a match were humans could TEAM UP and consult, move after move, against Twixtbot. Some of our VERY BEST PLAYERS competed, while I made sure that we moved within time limits. Each move was thoroughly analyzed; there were NO tactical blunders to be made. The players worked as a TEAM, finding best lines of play while denying Twixtbot any useful counter play. IT WORKED! The humans dominated, and Twixtbot resigned in a hopelessly lost position!
It should be noted that since that game, the Twixtbot continues its domination of humans - including the best players here. I don't think that means much, except - human players have not really LEARNED very much from the game; we dominated the Twixtbot once, but nobody comes close to repeating (excepting one recent draw).
WILL THIS WORK IN CHESS? I think it will - or is at least, worth a try. I am reaching out to our community here for comments: DO I HAVE SOMETHING HERE? I think it is possible that humans, under the right conditions, can defeat the best Chess software out there. I offer this Twixt game as evidence. If people think that this really has a chance, I WILL REACH OUT AND COMMUNICATE WITH WHOEVER I MUST - really - I will send emails to Carlsen, Nakamura, FIDE, Chessbase, and anybody else who will listen. I will tell them about my experiment here, and propose a match under the conditions I described. Maybe somebody will go for it - play the game - beat the computer - and this game will be ONE FOR THE AGES.
Or - maybe not. Perhaps I am being way too optimistic. I welcome your comments.(meow)