"Universal" Shogi pieces

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Shobu

16 Dec 2020

I 've just stumbled onto so nice graphics reworking of the shogi pieces:

https://www.shogito.com/

http://www.logygames.com/shogi/index.html

I am (still) not a shogi player but i found these pretty nice (even though i would probably just end up using the original pieces)

#2 · ypaul21

16 Dec 2020

The current set of Westernised pieces in LG is probably the most iconic and universally recognised one though. It’s Hidetchi's Internationalised Pieces. I don’t know if the other ones are better, but I think that this one is sufficiently beginner-friendly for people that don’t read Japanese or Chinese.

You should definitely try out Shogi soon :)

#3 · Shobu

16 Dec 2020

I've just checked Hitechi's design ..  less flashy for sure, but i guess it's more traditional/effective. Shogito may end more complicated in the end..

I will try Shogi later, now i will focus on Xiangqi (ordered a book for Xmas) .. want try that intriguing Cannon piece :)

#4 · ypaul21

17 Dec 2020

I’m intrigued. What book is that?

#5 · Shobu

17 Dec 2020

It's a french book, seems a pretty complete introduction overview (400+pages ... opening,midgame, ending)

http://praxeo-fr.blogspot.com/2002/10/livres-deux-nouveautes-praxeo-en.html

This company also published ressources about mahjong, shogi and go

Seems most english ressources are made by Jim Png, also founder of xqinenglish.com

#6 · ypaul21

18 Dec 2020

Oh nice. I should probably look at more French resources. Maybe let me know if the book is really good. Thank you!