CHESS960, why very few players?

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Pepe Le Pew

5 Oct 2022

I'm sick and tired of people using **engines **to play chess games, and maybe other games as well.

I wish more people would pay chess960. there is probably less _cheating _going on there. but unfortunately, very few play the game and so I'm stock playing against **Stockfish **

#2 · Eykca

7 Oct 2022

better than being stuck playing against Stuckfish.

#3 · Dvd Avins

30 Nov 2022

Sadly, if someone wanted to use Stockfish to cheat at 960, they could. I used to use it to go over my games when they were finished, but others wouldn't have to wait.

#4 · Paul Wiselius

1 Dec 2022

As for engines: even my old Fritz 5.32 knows about it.
I guess that in the opening phase humans might have the better strategic view, but later on the engine can easily take over I fear.

#5 · David J Bush

1 Dec 2022

960 makes us players work harder. Maybe we are lazy. :-)

#6 · MisterCat

1 Dec 2022

I have a concrete reason to offer here. I played only a few 960 games - fairly interesting, enjoyable, win or lose, BUT - and it's a bit BUT - I saw that 960 affects my straight Chess rating. Honestly, this will not do at all. They are different games, and should be rated separately. Richard has 960 and straight Chess combined. With other games, he keeps separate ratings. Actually, this is not fair.
(all my opinion, naturally).
So I will no longer play 960 - except possibly unrated games, which, to me, are not as much fun.
(meow)

#7 · MisterCat

1 Dec 2022

I have a concrete reason to offer here. I played only a few 960 games - fairly interesting, enjoyable, win or lose, BUT - and it's a bit BUT - I saw that 960 affects my straight Chess rating. Honestly, this will not do at all. They are different games, and should be rated separately. Richard has 960 and straight Chess combined. With other games, he keeps separate ratings. Actually, this is not fair.
(all my opinion, naturally).
So I will no longer play 960 - except possibly unrated games, which, to me, are not as much fun.
(meow)

#8 · MisterCat

2 Dec 2022

sorry, no idea why that got posted twice, but noticed one typo: it's a BIG but, not bit but. I was rushed. Working like crazy these days and I am swamped. One reason I hardly play anything, anymore.
mc

#9 · MisterCat

2 Dec 2022

sorry, no idea why that got posted twice, but noticed one typo: it's a BIG but, not bit but. I was rushed. Working like crazy these days and I am swamped. One reason I hardly play anything, anymore.
mc

#10 · MisterCat

2 Dec 2022

every post I make now gets repeated; it it my mouse clicker??! No idea. this will probably get repeated, so again, sorry about that.
(meow)
(hey - I'll try 'preview' first; might help)