Popular games missing

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Defrag1971

26 Dec 2024

There are some popular variants that I'd like to be added:

  • Duck Chess (the duck which is a blocker, makes the game very strategic)
  • Dark Chess (very popular)
  • Gothic Chess (similar to Grandchess but in smaller chessboard)

#2 · Sighris

4 Jan 2026

Stratego (similar to regular Chess, but on a bigger board... with two lakes in the middle... and the rank/value of your playing pieces are hidden from your opponent... and some of your playing pieces don't move because they are bombs... And you have a lot more playing pieces, including a spy... Okay, so it is arguably not similar to traditional Chess - but can we have it here on LG anyway? )

#3 · Oakmoss

5 Jan 2026

Dodgeball is my favorite Chess variant. I hope it's not too cumbersome to code it for the site!

Stratego would be lovely. I hope the setup phase would be done in a way that lets you place all 40 pieces at once, not randomized or an 80-turn one piece at a time affair.

#4 · Sighris

7 Jan 2026

Is this (below) here? If not, I'd like it to be added:

**Chess960**  [Chess can be made fairer by rearranging the pieces](https://www.newscientist.com/article/2509800-chess-can-be-made-fairer-by-rearranging-the-pieces/ )  

#5 · The_Burglar

7 Jan 2026

Exploding chess, instead of moving a piece select one of your pieces to explode, next roll a six sided dice to determine how many squares the explosion effects which must be the selected piece plus selected adjacent squares up to the value on the dice, if on the edge or in the corner can include squares at 2 steps after all adjacent squares have exploded.

#6 · Sighris

10 Feb 2026

The_Burglar, play Stratego, it has exploding pieces, called "bombs" (actually, more like mines the way they function in the game).

#7 · MisterCat

10 Feb 2026

I like Stratego. I own the game. Rarely get to play it. If it were here, I'd play. There is a Stratego website out there. Visited years ago. I recall playing one game vs. computer. I lost.

#8 · Sighris

15 Feb 2026

I have played Stratego online, many years ago, against a friend (a human, not a bot). It might have had a different name, for legal reasons. I also remember there being a Stratego website owned by the company that sold the physical board game. I already play Go and Chess on several websites, plus I'm on more than one social websites, so that is enough for me; and thus I hope Stratego will be available here someday.