1800+ rating Club

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Ronald Lokers

25 Feb 2004

After Corne (who is almost constantly above 1800), myself and Gerard (both of us only stayed above 1800 a very little while), now Petr Trojek is the 4th I know of that has a rating above 1800... Congrats!

#2 · Petura

25 Feb 2004

Thanks :) To reach 1800 is one thing, the second (and much more difficult) thing is to keep rating above 1800 :) Corne is already more than 2 months above 1800, really unbelievable!

#3 · Ricardo (Santos)

25 Feb 2004

Congratulations Petr! I think it is amazing to reach 1800, just thinking of how fast it goes down the higher up you are!

#4 · antkam

25 Feb 2004

Good things come in pairs! Right after Petr (congratulations!), my good friend tonywu became the 5th player to cross the 1800 boundary. In fact, as of this moment (Feb 25, 1:40pm Boston USA time), his 1808 rating is above corne's 1806! I dont remember when was the last time corne was NOT at the top of the list!

#5 · Ronald Lokers

19 Mar 2004

Today my rating peaked at 1817 before I lost some games again... I even lost 8 points on a game I won 3-2 (well, it was a tie in which I scored the last goal). So Corne, you're safe again... but one day I WILL overtake you! ;-)

#6 · FC Cwali

31 Mar 2004

It's empty now in the 1800+ club house. While 1700+ is nescecary last time for the top-10.

My left wing made a blunder that caused a draw and finaly I lost in extra time, what costed ca. 25 points.

My games in progress now are 2-1, 2-1, 1-0, 1-0, 2-2, 1-1, 1-1 and 0-0.

I want to stay in the top-100. :-)

#7 · FC Cwali

1 Apr 2004

And after a few lost games in extra time, Petr Trojek took the lead again.

I regretted some choices in my games. 'Normally' my bad choices turned out to work good. :-)

The top-10 within 38 points now. And the top-15 within 53 points.

Who will take the lead too?

.....

#8 · FC Cwali

14 Apr 2004

Tigis has 1801 now. And very good matches stats.

Once you need 1800 for a top-10 position?

#9 · Mac S

28 Apr 2004

Gerard is on 1851 right now... is that a record?

#10 · Mac S

28 Apr 2004

Never mind... I just checked Corne's rating history and he was over 1875 for a while. So Gerard still has some work to do (he's 3-1 up against me in the final of August MC so he might score some more points).

#11 · Ronald Lokers

1 May 2004

antkam made the 1800+ club too! Right now he's 1803.

#12 · tonywu

1 May 2004

Congratulations antkam, my good friend, you finally also get here. And currently, there are 4 players above 1800. I think it is not too far away from day which we need 1800+ to be ranked in top 10.

#13 · antkam

1 May 2004

thanks Ronald and tony for the congrats. it's ironic that when i reach 18xx i am ranked 4th, but a few weeks ago i was ranked 1st at only 1775 (IIRC). to me, this means the ratings still fluctuate very wildly for each individual player. right now we have players who have ever reached 18xx, but because of the fluctuations, we probably need a pool of 20+ players who can reach 18xx, before 10 or them would reach it _at the same time_! so i think we are still far from the day when top 10 requires 18xx -- i would be surprised if that happens in 1 year, for example.

in fact, given the amount of luck in streetsoccer, i would not be surprised if the "stable" or "asymptotic" distribution of ratings among all players never reaches the stage when the top 10 are 18xx. thinking more, i suppose it is a function of the total number of players too. so maybe we'll get to top 10 18xx, not because we play better, but because there are more newbies to beat up on! :)

#14 · Tore S

1 May 2004

This will depend on the number of total players. Currently there are 386 players in the rating list. Number of players above a certain level is dependent on total number and the standard deviation.

I am not too good at maths around this, but my guess is that we will have all top players above 1800 when total number of players reaches 600.

I am sure some statician will correct me:)

#15 · tonywu

25 May 2004

well, i see that it seems not easy to get 1800+. but rating of top players do increasing. few months ago, you surely get into top 10 with 1700+. but today, you probably need 1730 or even 1740+ for top 10.

#16 · tonywu

28 May 2004

I am back again ;)

#17 · Ronald Lokers

4 Jun 2004

A new member to the club: Dennis Carter has a rating above 1800! Congrats!

#18 · Ronald Lokers

7 Jun 2004

And suddenly it's going fast: Goober crossed 1800 too.

#19 · tonywu

8 Jun 2004

personal record - 1831 ;)

#20 · Tore S

8 Jun 2004

Count me in!!!

Finally:)

#21 · Tore S

8 Jun 2004

So I reached 1823, but only for a couple of hours. Julien brought me down 25 points again :(

#22 · simon craddock

9 Jun 2004

1803 Can i join now??

#23 · Tore S

9 Jun 2004

Welcome!! Glad I could help :)

#24 · simon craddock

14 Jun 2004

1800 back again,but for how long this time.Last time i peaked at 1846.

#25 · Ronald Lokers

17 Jun 2004

Just a recap: these are the current members of the club:

FC Cwali

Gerard

Ronald Lokers

Petr Trojek

tonywu

tigis

antkam

Dennis Carter

Goober

Tore Sandmark

simon craddock

How soon will it be a list too long to maintain? In which case we should establish a 1900+ club perhaps... Number of members: 0 so far! Come on, Corne, what's taking you? ;-)

#26 · FC Cwali

17 Jun 2004

And Neptun: 1804

In my 8 matches now I lead in 6, 2 are equal (0-0 and 1-1). That would make it close to 1900.

#27 · tonywu

17 Jun 2004

There are more joining, but seems only Cwali able to stay there. The average rating of top ten is continued growing, you will needed 1850+ to get a place now.

#28 · tonywu

17 Jun 2004

I mean 1750+ :P

#29 · FC K6J

22 Jun 2004

It took a long while, but I've finally made it into the 1800+ club, too. I'll have to savour this moment. :o)

Greetings

- Arne -

#30 · antkam

7 Jul 2004

Now that we have more than 10 members in the 1800+ club, I propose a contest:

Guess the exact date when, for the first time ever, every top-10 player will have rating 1800 or higher.

My guess: I think it will take about another year. So I'm gonna pick arbitrarily June 7, 2005, which is my birthday. :)

Some approximate statistics that might be relevant:

For almost half a year now, we have added on average 1 or 2 new members to the 1800+ club per month. We need quite a large pool of club members before 10 of us can be above 1800 at the same time. This is especially hard since we beat up each other so often! ;) (Please, no beating up on newbies just to reach the magic date...)

I have not tracked carefully, but the 10th ranked player's rating seems to have risen by 5-10 points per month. Right now it's around 1740-1750. By this estimate we will reach 1800 in half to one year, but I am on the pessimistic side.

Anyone else cares to guess?

#31 · Marius Halsor

8 Jul 2004

I'll make a guess. One important aspect to consider, is not only how many has been above 1800, or how fast the 10th best player is, but how many players have a "high" rating, let's say above 1650.

The reason for this is that street soccer is such an even game, that playing against a much lower rated opponent is, on average, bad for your rating. At least that's my guess. Also, these high rated players are the ones with a possibility to reach 1800 soon.

I think that recently, many players have increaced their rating and entered the "high rating"-area. This will, according to this hypothesis, lead to all top 10 players having above 1800 in rating too.

Another aspect: Some players (like myself) almost only play in the championship. Thus, when the next championship will start surely will have an influence on when all top 10 players are above 1800.

I guess that sometimes during the next championship, all top 10 players will be above 1800. To pick an arbitrary date, I'll guess November 6th 2004 - which is MY birthday! :-)

Who's next on the guessing list?

#32 · ypercube

8 Jul 2004

I will agree with Marius. Unforunately my birthday is in about two weeks from now (24th of July) so it's not good for this estimate. In another thread I had conjectured that we will reach 222.222 games by then. Let's see.

#33 · Ronald Lokers

9 Jul 2004

I think it will take a lot longer, at least when there are a lot of players like me: I play a lot of tournaments and I don't really care about the rating of my opponents. It's true that playing against low-rated opponents costs a lot in the long run because you will lose a game or two. But I'm not playing to get my rating above 1800, I'm playing to have fun. I'm pretty sure that if I would play to get above 1800 I could accomplish it. I've done it already twice... but with my style of playing (meaning: playing a lot) it's really hard to stay there. Unless you pick your opponents...

#34 · Tim Sharrock

9 Jul 2004

I have certainly enjoyed playing against members of the 1800+ club (I think I have now met about half of you in tournaments). I have learned a great deal, but, of course have much more to learn!

#35 · Super Chicken

13 Jul 2004

Hei... I don't understand this 1800+ club!!

Actually I'm the 4th (just for few hours, for sure!) but I'm under 1800 pts.

Just 3 persons are over 1800! It seems very... dynamic!

#36 · tonywu

13 Jul 2004

my bet on date all top 10 players are 1800+ is Jan 17, 2004. i think most important factor is about our rating is the total number of players. If the number keep growing, top rating will keep go up.

#37 · Marius Halsor

13 Jul 2004

I agree, the number of players are important. The more players we have, the more will be above 1800.

But a high GROWTH in the number of players will have a negative effect on the number of players above 1800, I think. This is because these new players with 1500 in rating will "steal" more rating points form the top players than they will give back.

Ofcourse, when the growth stops, we will just have gotten more players, which in turn will give us more players above 1800 - in the long run.

Marius

#38 · Ronald Lokers

19 Jul 2004

Heh.... right now there's NOBODY above 1800 rating ;-)

#39 · antkam

1 Aug 2004

and suddenly, there are 5 players in 1800+ again! welcome to our newest member, Mister Marty, who amazingly achieved 1800+ after only 79 completed games. wow... would that be a record?

#40 · Huw Rees

2 Aug 2004

all this statistical speculation very interesting. i.ve just

won a string of games, and my rating has reached 1743. i'd like to know where i stand overall. there are loads of you who obviously do this regularly - how do you see a list of player in rating order?

#41 · Huw Rees

3 Aug 2004

no need to answer - iworked it out myself

#42 · antkam

20 Aug 2004

welcome to Alan, who's at the top with 1832 right now.

also, the 10th place has crept up to 1761, which is the highest i can remember (but i dont check very often). when will the entire top 10 be 18xx? by whose birthday will it happen? :) mine, Marius' or tony's?

#43 · Alan

20 Aug 2004

Thanks Antkam,

I will enjoy it while it lasts! If I am still in the top ten by my birthday (July 18th) I will be happy.

#44 · Jupp

9 Sep 2004

As not-member and observer a question: What's more difficult - Rating 1800 or a winning score around 60%? ;)

#45 · Krzysztof (Chris)

9 Sep 2004

of course 1800+ is more difficult!

#46 · Krzysztof (Chris)

22 Sep 2004

I was wrong... I MADE IT!!!

I have now 1808!

Not for long.... BUT I HAVE IT!

#47 · Enrico

30 Sep 2004

After 254 finished games I reached the Top 10 for the first time yesterday. Hurray!!!

I already needed 1767 points to get there. A few hours later that score wasn't even enough for top 10 and I dropped with my 1767 points to 11th place...

The date when every top 10 player needs 1800+ is getting closer and closer. I think it will be december 16 (my birthday)!

#48 · tonywu

30 Sep 2004

at this moment, you needed 1770+ to be rank in top 10!!

#49 · antkam

30 Sep 2004

yes, the 10th rating has been increasing steadily. however, as of this moment, the top player passenger, with a rating of 1871, is on a self-declared experiment to manipulate the rating. so the top 10 rating is artificially inflated just a tiny bit by him. i hope he will reach 1900 soon so that he will stop his experiment!

for a discussion of his experiment, see his posts (starting 2004-09-22) on this thread: http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic.jsp?forum=100&topic=235

#50 · tonywu

1 Oct 2004

well, passenger experiment is affecting a little bit. but it will end on 10/10 and not end by reaching 1900. i guess he cannot make it... ;)