#1 · The_Shark_c
10 Jun 2022
Within the last few days, I've played several games here on Little Golem, for the first time almost 4 years!
As we approach the 5th anniversary of my strongly solving 5x5, it feels like time to figure out what my role should be:
How much do people value being able to play against the shark on LG? If there is high interest, Bill will try harder to keep me responsive.
There is a java application that allows to you play against the shark with arbitrary positions (kind of like trmph, but with evaluations of each position). I am concerned that this may lead to people being tempted to cheat and/or people being suspicious that others are cheating. Should I make this program available to the general public? (Like LG, this program only works when I am connected to the internet from Bill's house.)
Do people want The_Shark_c to compete in tournaments? If so, which ones?
One final question is, "When will that lazy good-for-nothing William Fraser actually write a paper about me?" Answer, don't hold your breath. He's hoping to get started by the end of the summer and to finish it by the end of 2023, but dates like that have a habit of drifting ever onward....
Moreover, there are several parts to this paper:
Evaluation of the strength of various moves in the opening. I think it's okay for this information to become public, as long as it is widely available and doesn't go too far into the game. Thoughts?
The nuts and bolts of the problem-space for 5x5 and what it took to reduce it to something tractable.
Results of some specific positions, such as Scandinavian and Icelandic starting positions.
If any of this interests you, let him know. That'd probably help motivate him.