Larger Toroidal Go games and GoBans with shapes other than squares.

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Sighris

4 Dec 2015

If you are interested in playing a larger Toroidal Go game, say 13x13, or 15x15, please let me know either by replying to this forum post, or send me an email or FaceBook message. My email is < Sighris at Gmail. com >

Also, if you are interested in playing Go on a shape other than a square, for example the cross on the Swiss flag, please let me know. Thanks, Sighris

#2 · Sighris

4 Dec 2015

Also let me know if you would be interested in playing Go on a hexagonal or triangular grid instead of the traditional square grid.  In my limited experience with this the rules need to be modified slightly to make it work well, but it can be done. :)

#3 · mmKALLL

4 Dec 2015

This might be of interest to you:http://www.youdzone.com/images/roundgo.gif

I'm not particularly interested in experimenting with Go at this point, but there are a lot of cool variations out there. How would you plan to play on an irregular go board online?

#4 · Sighris

3 Mar 2016

Thanks mmKALLL ★...I find other variations of Go more interesting than Round-Go; because Round-Go is the same as Tube-Go, and if I am going to do that (connect two sides) I might as well go one more step and connect the other two sides and make the Tube into a Torus!!! lol  ....  As to how to play them, the plan is to do something like what LittleGolem has done for Toroidal-Go; create another GoBan shape that people want to play on, or at least willing to give it a try, and see how popular it becomes.  For example: http://senseis.xmp.net/?Virtueless or I'm interested in trying the 2nd one down (the cross) shown here: http://senseis.xmp.net/?CreatingIrregularGobansWithWiki - or something like it (a symmetrical + shape) but bigger.

#5 · Sighris

19 Jun 2017

BTW, as I mentioned in another thread: Another T-Go possibility is to add a shift/twist (literally) into the mapping of the surface such that on the 5x5 T-Go game with 25 intersections named:

  • E1 E2 E3 E4 E5
  • D1 D2 D3 D4 D5
  • C1 C2 C3 C4 C5
  • B1 B2 B3 B4 B5
  • A1 A2 A3 A4 A5

“A1” would connect to “B5” (instead of A5); “B1”  would connect to “C5”; “C1” would connect to “D5”; and "E1" would connect to “A5” (instead of E5)....

The above is a one unit shift/twist; but a 2 or more unit shift could also be done.

#6 · Sighris

22 Oct 2018

Jos Dekker replied to me that "Yes I would play 13x13 T-Go, if LittleGolem offered it. " - So I'm going to send Richard a request.

#7 · eobllor

24 Oct 2018

I'd probably give 13x13 T-Go a try too!

#8 · Sighris

25 Oct 2018

If you are interested in a larger T-Go game, either 13x13 or 15x15, please give it a vote here: https://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issues/45/can-we-the-littlegolem-users-have-a-13x13

#9 · Malcolm Schonfield

1 Nov 2018

Sorry Sighris, I didn't feel like registering on bitbucket so I haven't voted.

I would be happy to try t-Go on 13x13 and/or 15x15. I would also like to try twisted t-Go at some point. (Twisted t-Go is mentioned on SL.)

#10 · Sighris

25 Aug 2019

I'm still interested in a larger T-Go game!

If you want to push this idea too check out: https://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issues/45/can-we-the-littlegolem-users-have-a-13x13

 - &/or write something here!

#11 · Tony

26 Aug 2019

#12 · Sighris

15 Dec 2019

I’m still interested in a larger T-Go game!!!

If you want to help push this idea too, please check out: https://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issues/45/can-we-the-littlegolem-users-have-a-13x13

 - and everybody have a wonderful end of 2019!

#13 · Sighris

15 Dec 2019

BTW, somebody recommended a 15x15 T-Go instead of 13x13... I think that is an even better idea.  Post your vote &/or ideas on larger T-Go games here: https://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issues/45/can-we-the-littlegolem-users-have-a-13x13

 - Happy holidays!

#14 · Sighris

25 Feb 2020

In the "infinity games not starting?" post in the general forum, Richard Malaschitz at 2020-02-18 wrote: "Algorithm was changed. Now is start a new round when every player play one game or less (as average). Originally it was 1.5 game later 2.0 games. " So again I'm asking that an infinite 13x13 or 15x15 Toroidal-Go Tournament be started; that way those who want to play more (&/or bigger) T-Go games can join both tournaments (or just the bigger sized board tournament)! Great idea, right? LOL - I'm not giving up on this!!!! :D

#15 · Sighris

14 Nov 2020

OK, so now instead of an 11x11 T-Go "infinite tournament" we have a ladder. Cool.

 - Now can we get a 15x15 T-Go game? - and a ladder too?  It can be a "Happy New Year!" present to the T-Go fans!!!! :)

Please post your vote &/or ideas on larger T-Go games here: https://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issues/45/can-we-the-littlegolem-users-have-a-13x13

 - Happy holidays!  (again) - and stay safe!!! There is a global pandemic happening! Keep your guard up. Together we can protect each other and get through this together.

#16 · metzgerism

14 Nov 2020

Sighris on a crusade, man

I wish I could help you out, 11x11 feels surprisingly large to me, but I'm just starting.

#17 · Sighris

4 Dec 2020

Yep metzgerism- it is totally worth a post every 4 or 5 months!

#18 · Malcolm Schonfield

20 Jul 2021

Today I learnt about Variant Go Server. It seems quite basic but it does let you play toroidal go on lots of different size boards  (all odd numbers from 5 to 25).

https://go.kahv.io

Apart from toroidal go it also has some other variants; it looks pretty interesting.

#19 · Sighris

2 Jun 2022

Thanks Malcolm Schonfield for your 2021-07-20 share! I've been super-busy, but I'll check out the Variant Go Server someday! :)

#20 · Sighris

26 Oct 2022

I still have not yet had time to look at the "Variant Go Server" < https://go.kahv.io > mentioned by Malcolm Schonfield over a year ago (above, on 2021-07-20). I forgot about it until now. :-/

Anyway, since Richard Malaschitz added "Go variant 27x27" here on Little Golem - my favorite "Go variant" website, I want to give a bump to the idea/request that Richard Malaschitz add a 15x15 Toroidal-Go variant here also! It was pointed out by somebody in another thread that 15x15 makes more sense than 13x13 in at least three ways, and I agree, so that is my current push/ crusade... but I'd gladly play 13x13 T-Go if for any reason that was significantly easier to implement here, or if that was the more popular request.

I hope to mention this idea in the large FaceBook Go Players Group in the next week or two.

#21 · ypercube

26 Oct 2022

I concur. A 15x15 (or 17x17) Toroidal Go would be good addition.

I'd even go further and propose a 16x16 Toroidal version instead!

#22 · richyfourtytwo

27 Oct 2022

What, no tengen???? ;-)

#23 · Sighris

10 Jul 2023

richyfourtytwo ★, In T-Go, at least on T-GoBans with an odd number of rows and columns, the first move is ALWAYS on tengen... And now I'm wondering if a 16x16 Toroidal game would have no playable tengen point?
- My first thought is the first move on 16x16 T-Go would still be tengen (always) and then the second move possibilities would include a "tengen opposite" (anti-tengen?) move (8 rows and 8 columns away) that is not possible (not playable) on a T-GoBans with an odd number of rows and/or an odd number of columns. And BTW, on the 2nd move of a 16x16 T-GoBan, other than opposite-tengen there would be 43 other possible moves (after accounting for symmetry).

#24 · Sighris

1 Dec 2024

Woah, the last 15+ months went by super-fast (and were super-busy)... So let me take a 15 second break, before 2024 ends, and ask again: Who would like to have a 15x15 (or 17x17) Toroidal-Go game here on Little Golem?
..
The crusade will continue until I achieve victory!!! ;-)
.. metzgerism are you ready to join us? :D

#25 · ParryZumai

3 Dec 2024

17x17 T-Go. Also 37x37 Go. and 9x9x9 Go please!

#26 · ypercube

4 Dec 2024

me too. all of the above :)

#27 · Thomas

5 Dec 2024

My wishlist would be:

#28 · ypercube

11 Dec 2024

9x9x2 might be easy to implement

#29 · Sighris

14 Dec 2024

ParryZumai (at 2024-12-03) and Thomas (at 2024-12-05), if you mean 9x9x9-Go as in a 3D-cube it is basically unplayable IMO due to most intersections having 6 liberties and the difficulty in understanding (for most humans, even good Go-Players) when I group has two eyes. And ParryZumai (& everyone else), Little Golem DOES have 37x37-Go (and for several months already IIRC).

#30 · Sighris

14 Dec 2024

...but there is a playable 3D-Go game in which each of the center playing positions have 4 liberties (just like regular / 2D-Go). I think it is called lattice-Go. More info here: https://senseis.xmp.net/?Real3dGoban