Go Size: 9x9:: 2433883 questions

Public forum discussion.

#1 · unknown player

16 Mar 2024

https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2433883

I've played this game six times and researched the rules, but I still don't understand them.

Questions:
1. Is scoring at the end of the game based on the number of empty spaces, prisoners, and territories? And that's worth 1 point.

  1. My question is, does that go to black or white?

  2. Are there ways I can improve my moves?

#2 · BozoDel

17 Mar 2024

There are regional variants on how Go is scored, and some of them care about prisioners, some don't. But all regional rulesets are very similar in most aspects, and yield about the same results, so it's not like checkers or chess variants. I don't know what rules LG uses. I hope someone can give you a more useful answer! I just thought this info would be interesting.

I remember when I started playing Go, I had this tsumego app on my phone. Can't remember the name, sorry. Tsumego are go puzzles. If you can find a website or app with tsumego for beginners, that can help you A LOT (and they're a lot of fun).

Oh, here's a good one. VERY basic, for absolute beginners:
https://playgo.to/index.html#/en/intro

Oh, I found it! I'm pretty sure this is the app I was using. You can start at very basic stuff, but then it gets interesting. It's for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gowrite.hactarLite

#3 · BozoDel

17 Mar 2024

Oh, and it seems the Way to Go tutorials aren't THAT basic. I didn't notice that page has different tab-like headers that lead you to the more advanced parts.

#4 · unknown player

18 Mar 2024

Awesome, I will check them out. Thank you so much.

#5 · Greck

19 Mar 2024

BozoDel, here in LG they use Japanese Rules.

However, they are currently using a kind of bot to mark dead stones at the end. It may be confusing for beginners.

#6 · William Fraser

21 Mar 2024

Oh, and one more thing to note. White is given some number of points as compensation for having to go second. This number is based on the board size (as indicated by Komi -- in 9x9 games, this value is 6.5).

So, after the computer captures any stones that it thinks are dead, the score is:

(empty spaces surrounded by BLACK + WHITE stones that have been captured) -
(Empty spaces surrounded by WHITE + BLACK stones that have been captured + KOMI)

And black is declared the winner if the resulting score is positive.

#7 · unknown player

24 Mar 2024

Thank you so much, I looked up the scoring on youtube and some people were doing it like this:

Prisoners
Territories
Captured Stones
Empty Spaces
dead stones

And then adding them up for each color. Subtracting it by komi.

#8 · Greck

24 Mar 2024

Prisoners, captured stones and dead stones are different names for exactly the same thing.

Territory and empty spaces are exactly the same, too.

And komi is not subtracted. These points are added to White score, to compensate playing second.

Whoever has more points is the winner.

Have you tried playing in a real time server like https://www.gokgs.com/

#9 · unknown player

26 Mar 2024

no

#10 · Greck

26 Mar 2024

Please do, playing Go real time is a great opportunity to ask your partner what's happening or clarifying rules.

#11 · Sighris

10 Sep 2024

The Little Golem Go forum discussion under the topic "Area/territory" (area scoring vs territory scoring) might be very helpful to people reading this thread / topic / discussion.