draw in (mini-)shogi

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Ger Hanssen

16 Jul 2024

How do I offer a draw in (mini-)shogi?

Shogi can not actually end up in a draw, unless both the kings cross the field, but mini-shogi has a specific position that leads to a deadlock in a few moves. I even gave it to an AI to analyse and it doesn't give options to resolve. Once you break the equilibrium, you get problems and are likely to lose.

#2 · Pokshtya

19 Jul 2024

there is sennichit and this prevents a draw result. But you're right, mini-shogi by Shigenobu Kusumoto is a very boring and dull game.
It is believed that the game is in favor of the second player. Not proven, but still.
That's why I developed a new super-aggressive version of mini-shogi, which was recognized by Japanese masters of the game and implemented on the site shogitter.com enter link description here - https://shogitter.com/rule/5五将棋%20金銀
More detailed information in English can be found here: https://lishogi.org/study/B6GKbK4p/4ud8q42s#0

If you want to test the game in action, you can always send me a challenge on lishogi.org - https://lishogi.org/@/Pokshtya

I hope that the owner of this gaming platform will show interest in the game and will be able to implement Mini Shogi Gold and Silver here on this site. Moreover, to implement the game, it does not require much effort - you just need to change the initial arrangement.

#3 · Ger Hanssen

20 Jul 2024

Thanks for the answer, it is an interesting suggestion. But it doesn't really answer my question.
How do I offer a draw in shogi? In chess it must be possible, I haven't tried that yet, but in shogi?
And if it is not currently possible, how do I find an arbiter?

#4 · Pokshtya

20 Jul 2024

You can achieve it by sennichit. Here is an example enter link description here
Draw cannot be offered but achieved by certain moves.

#5 · Pokshtya

20 Jul 2024

I had a typo above: there is sennichit and this does not prevent a draw result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sennichite