Hex board game to play in real

Public forum discussion.

#1 · P_Guz

13 May 2023

Hi,

Has anybody found and can recommend hex board game to play in real?

I have found sth like https://www.amazon.com/Hexus-Board-Game-Traditional-Collectors/dp/B09TWVD2YJ and https://piethein.com/shop/183-games-amp-puzzles/2192-con-tac-tix-oak/ (and this seems to be 12x12) but I am wondering about some other options?

Thanks for replies.

#2 · lazyplayer

13 May 2023

I can sell you my 13x13 for 200 euro, contact me in private for more information! :)

#3 · HappyHippo

13 May 2023

Vintage Con-tac-tix boards by Skjode of Skjern (they look like this ) appear on ebay now and then. That's how I got mine.

#4 · Oakmoss

14 May 2023

I found a cheap Hex board and pieces at a thrift shop, but it's 7x7, which isn't particularly thrilling.

Regarding Hex and numerous other games, I remain very tempted to simply make my own by hand. There are so many materials to use alone or in combination--different types of wood, staining, paint, and pyrography, glass, clay, metal, paper, 3D printing, textiles... probably the simplest I can think of for something like Hex is using acrylic paint and a stencil to paint a hexagonal board (or just painting lines, depending on the style you want) onto wood or heavy cotton canvas, and use flattened glass gems or painted slices of dowel as pieces. It's not particularly glamorous and it does take time, but it's fairly durable, comparatively inexpensive, won't leave you waiting for offers to pop up, and you can make it any size and style you want.

#5 · scottsitar

14 May 2023

I got a Chessex Reversible Battlemat (tiled squares on one side, tiled hexagons on the other), combined with piles of aquarium stones from a pet store in various colours. They fit perfectly and you can play lots of different games on it, provided you don't mind it's a bit low tech.

#6 · Ok22

14 May 2023

Recently https://nestorgames.com/ sold sets for hex (size 14x14 and may be more).
As to now, I don't know. This site has become very poorly loaded with my inet provider.

#7 · HappyHippo

14 May 2023

Oakmoss: I've made my own board before using MDF and a sharpie:
hex board

I used an approach modified from these instructions for a go board: Homemade Go Board

#8 · David J Bush

15 May 2023

WOW Matthew nice work. It looks like an XY plotter was used. The beveled edges are amazing.

#9 · HappyHippo

15 May 2023

Thanks, more pictures here

I also made a 15x15 that turned out a little better, but I don't have pictures of it. For that one I put dots at the 4-4 points like a go board as well.

Lines are done with just a straightedge and a sharpie. You have to be very precise for this style because 3 lines meet at each point. With the go board, only two lines meet at a point so if you're off slightly it won't be noticeable, but with this board if you're off slightly you'll get a small "triangle" where the three lines are supposed to meet.

#10 · Arek Kulczycki

15 May 2023

Any piece of wood is good enough ;)
hexboard

#11 · Arek Kulczycki

15 May 2023

Hah, sorry, I didn't think of scaling the picture manually

#12 · Eykca

16 May 2023

I've made Hex/Havannah/etc. boards using kitchen backsplash tiling that i've found at home improvement stores. I spray-painted mine, but they look pretty good as is as well.

#13 · Mason Mackaman

17 May 2023

#14 · magnum108

10 Jul 2023

looks nice