Best resource for 'master'-level Hex strategies and secrets?

Public forum discussion.

#1 · tiyusufaly

26 Aug 2023

Hi,

I've been playing Hex for over 20 years, some years more often, some years not at all. I am pretty good - on BoardGameArena, I typically rank as a 'Strong Player', not sure what the equivalent to that is for Little Golem since I am new here.

But no matter how much I play, I can't seem to get over the hump that is necessary to reach that next tier. I feel I have reached the limits of how good I can get just by playing on my own. I need some high-level strategies, advanced guides, someone to give me the 'secrets' of the very best players.

I know there are many resources for Hex gameplay out there, both books and web pages. But I am looking for the most advanced, high-level guides out there.

Would any Hex 'masters' be willing to recommend particularly deep and insightful resources?

#2 · lazyplayer

26 Aug 2023

I think best way to learn is to copy strong players. You can install katahex and learn from the best player.

https://littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=50&topic=821

#3 · lazyplayer

26 Aug 2023

After you have learned you can teach me and Arek. :) We don't have time to learn with kata. :)

#4 · Arek Kulczycki

27 Aug 2023

I actually for the first time did some learning with katahex recently, in order to find a "preparation" for a 13x13 championship game vs lazyplayer :D

@tiyusufaly I think the best way to learn any game is to play it and then discuss it. If you want to play some real-time games feel free to text me. If you're in similar timezone then maybe we can arrange an evening.

#5 · psikonauta

28 Aug 2023

This is a good resource:

https://www.hexwiki.net/index.php/Strategy_roadmap

In my opinion, Matthew Seymour's site, which is listed in the link above, is excellent.