Is Hex more of a strategic game (like Go) or a tactical game (like Chess)?

Public forum discussion.

#1 · tiyusufaly

22 Sep 2023

The question is in the title. I just wanted to get an informal poll of what people think. I feel like there might be a way to add a poll to this, but I don't know how.

#2 · hexanna

22 Sep 2023

It depends on board size. Larger boards are generally considered more strategic. In my opinion, 11x11 and 13x13 are more tactics, 19x19 is more strategy, and somewhere around size 16 or 17 is "half tactics, half strategy," whatever that means.

#3 · richyfourtytwo

22 Sep 2023

I'd say the game switches from being strategic (in other words: I have no clue what to do) to tactical (now I can see that my previous moves were rubbish) after roughly n moves, where n depends on board size and probably is 0 for 11x11. (The same is true for go as well, but I'd argue n is larger for go on the same board size.)

#4 · Arek Kulczycki

22 Sep 2023

Funny, it's something me and lazyplayer discussed for years and we never reached any conclusion.
As a matter of fact we barely reach an agreement on definitions of tactics and strategy.

I think Hex is close to Chess in that matter, in the sense that IMO there isn't any objective truth about it, but it's a matter how you perceive the gameplay.
- you can decide to use a "gut feeling" more and place stones that "fit" according to pattern recognition or principles that you use
- you can also decide to open analysis board and brute-force analyse by placing various sequences, this is very useful regarding joseki and other locally played sequences to understand if your stones don't end up dying (equivalent to losing material in Chess)

As in Chess, likely the best is to use a mixture of approaches. Having played the game for over 20 years I still cannot trust only the "gut feeling" and I have to "calculate" to make sure I don't blunder.

#5 · yacinehabbi03

19 Feb 2024

hi iam an amateur in hex game i want to be professional player how can i do this please?

#6 · tiyusufaly

19 Feb 2024

Wish there were professional Hex players! The game is criminally underrated.

#7 · Greck

19 Feb 2024

Professional as in having someone to pay you for playing?