Hex 11: error in move

Public forum discussion.

#1 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

#2 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

Wrestling 5: I moved c9 the first time and then at move 13. c9 it duplicated the move twice.
enter link description here

#3 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

#4 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

There's an error in this game. I moved c9 the first time and then it duplicated it at move 13.
https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2440055

#5 · comonoid

21 Apr 2024

That is correct, the move has been swapped and can be played again.

#6 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

oh my bad, I didn't know. I thought it was an error.

#7 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

I've never had that in previous games.

#8 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

That's got to be an error; you can't play a move twice.

#9 · unknown player

21 Apr 2024

https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2441683, here is in this game, there was no move played twice, even if someone swapped.

#10 · Greck

22 Apr 2024

You can play d10 anytime you want in that last game. The cell is empty, why do you think you can't play on an empty cell?

#11 · unknown player

22 Apr 2024

That's not what I meant in the [Hex-Size 11:: #2440055]. There's an error in this game. I moved c9 the first time, and then it duplicated it in move 13.

https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=2440055

#12 · psikonauta

22 Apr 2024

That's not an error. That is how the pie rule, also called swap rule, works. You moved first with c9. Your opponent has the chance, just this time, to steal your move and play as first player, but it gets reflected to i3, so c9 becomes empty.

#13 · unknown player

22 Apr 2024

Honestly, that doesn't make any sense because that's never happened to me when playing against other people.

#14 · Greck

22 Apr 2024

Yes, it happened to you at least in the game we played together in a ladder game ;)

https://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp? gid=2439632&nmove=2

Frankly, I'm pretty sure your opponent swapped your first move in more than one game. I didn't check, tho.

#15 · psikonauta

22 Apr 2024

Also in a game with me. You should probably just read the rules before concluding there's an error in a game.

#16 · unknown player

22 Apr 2024

Okay. I never knew that you play a move twice in hex, I apologize.

#17 · William Fraser

23 Apr 2024

In case it isn't clear, after you played a black stone on c9 (for turn 1) it became a white stone on i3.

#18 · Greck

23 Apr 2024

It's not that you can play a move twice. It's just that you can play on ANY empty cell with no restriction. And as William says, the swap replaces your first black stone with a white stone in the mirrored cell.

#19 · Carroll

23 Apr 2024

To explain why a "swap rule" is better than none: in hex if one player decides to play in the center, he has a huge advantage. If you do that and there is a "swap rule", then your opponent would chose that this center pawn move is his move and he gets the advantage. Hence as a first player you must chose some sort of neutral move that does not give your opponent an a too big advantage if he decides to swap, and not a too big disadvantage for you if he plays somewhere else and you have to keep it. There once were tables showing where these neutral cells were, I think they were made by Alan Hensel.
Hope this helps you see this is not just a strange feature that makes no sense. Maybe you could read the recent discussion on first moves on Connect6 in the forum that address a similar problem on how to make the game more even and interesting.

#20 · unknown player

23 Apr 2024

@Caroll. Okay, thank you. That made sense a little bit. I will read into the connect 6 forum. And is Connect 6 similar to Hex or four in a row?

#21 · William Fraser

23 Apr 2024

Connect 6 is kind of like Four in a Row, with these changes:

  1. You are trying to get 6 in a row.
  2. You can play anywhere on the board (i.e. there is no gravity).
  3. You play 2 pieces per turn.

In the first couple of turns, rules 2 and 3 are modified -- and the thread that @Carroll mentioned is discussing exactly how they are to be modified.