Hex Bots on LG

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Richard Malaschitz

23 Apr 2024

The bots for the hex are being tested, so there may still be various bugs. They can't do swap yet and they play weird moves on 11x11. Overall there will be quite a lot of bots of varying strength.

#2 · Greck

23 Apr 2024

Great news!! Thanks a lot!

#3 · Richard Malaschitz

23 Apr 2024

Already the bots should play correctly on all sizes. Their power is limited by the same algorithm as bots in the go game. And they are limited just as they are algorithmically in KaTrain.

So even weaker players can play bots. Like me.

Next week the tournament between bots will start and we will see if the level of play is set correctly.

Bots don't participate in regular tournaments. They are only in the "ladder" tournament and even there the number is limited to three and each bot is only there for a few games.

#4 · Arek Kulczycki

24 Apr 2024

Amazing news Richard, thanks!

Which is the strongest Hex bot available now?

#5 · spartacu5

25 Apr 2024

Wow, fantastic

#6 · tiyusufaly

28 Apr 2024

Thanks!

Is there a way to look up the relative strengths of the different bots, other than playing them?

#7 · Greck

29 Apr 2024

what do you mean relative strengths? The rating?

#8 · tiyusufaly

29 Apr 2024

Yes

#9 · Greck

30 Apr 2024

The last item in the LG menu is a list of bots, with their ratings.

#10 · add3993

30 Apr 2024

Any chance we may see strong ConHex bots? I would love that.

#11 · tiyusufaly

7 May 2024

Seems like Kata Kaze No Iro is the strongest.

#12 · Arek Kulczycki

17 May 2024

Unfortunately in the bot tournament they didn't use sensible openings so white always won unless one side was very significantly weaker...

#13 · Arek Kulczycki

17 May 2024

I hope you will not hate me for "cheating" against a bot.

I played a game vs Kata Kaze No Iro, but I was using local engine to analyse the moves.

I confirm this bot is very strong - stronger than me, but also it's completely beatable which is proven by me rescuing a lost position and having a won position in the mentioned game.

Kata Kaze No Iro played similar moves as suggested by my local engine, but not all of them. During the engine analysis I found that it was getting confused about top-left corner so I tried to take advantage of it by playing otherwise dubious 15.c4. The engine was in love with playing d5 and e5 which is my opinion didn't make sense, so I was provoking it and finally it did play 24.d5 which was a blunder and turned the tables. After the next move the engine changed its mind from white to black advantage.

I also played vs Kata Curious, but it played a silly opening move and I defeated it easily on my own.

#14 · haakje

15 Jul 2024

Which bot is the weakest one?