Good Game?

Public forum discussion.

#1 · unknown player

12 May 2024

#2 · bennok

14 May 2024

Hi thanks for sharing this intriguing game. The moves from both sides are very mysterious and seem to reveal something of a false beginner play. Two minds with a not so typical approach and creative ideas. To me the lack of experienced wasn't obvious until move 23 for black and move 26 for white.
I didn't look closely enough to judge if there were any weak moves before. But at the point of move 28 I knew I would only be frustrated and that the last blunder would bring the loss.
Moves around 40 on both sides are almost comical for my knowledge of the game.
But anyway congrats for turning this game to your advantage.

And keep playing! You'll be surprised how your vision evolves. If you look at this game in 6 months and you won't recognize the moves as yours ;)

#3 · bennok

14 May 2024

I meant: "If you look at this game in 6 months, you won't recognize the moves as yours."

#4 · bennok

14 May 2024

Oh I was assuming you were playing as black. So congrats you lasted longer than your opponent. Do you need explanation why your move 26 was a waste of time ? The move is only bad because it connects a corner which was not at risk. Later white plays a very similar unnecessary connection in the upper left corner. Anyway I repeat your opening moves are pretty creative and unpredictable: a very good thing :)

#5 · unknown player

16 May 2024

I lost the game. I didn't win

#6 · unknown player

16 May 2024

Do you need an explanation of why your move 26 was a waste of time?

I'm confused why so rude?

#7 · unknown player

16 May 2024

I don't care about losing or winning a game; I'm just having fun. Why do you think Move 26 was a waste of time? Does that really matter? To me, it doesn't matter.

#8 · add3993

16 May 2024

they're not trying to be rude. they literally mean that playing move 26 at A11 is not any better than skipping a turn. the reason is that at this point in the game, A10 and A11 are interchangeable as far as potential connections, and you can always be guaranteed at least one (by just waiting and taking one if your opponent ever takes the other); and there is never a benefit to having both. With more practice you will learn to recognize and use such pairs, and play more efficient moves by not filling them unless forced to.

Try the resources here to learn more about strategy https://hexworld.org/

I don't care about losing or winning a game; I'm just having fun.

You asked if it was a "good game", and the usual focus here is on strategic play (even if playing casually, folks still generally try to win), so you got honest feedback about your play from that angle.

#9 · unknown player

16 May 2024

I did; it just seemed the way I perceived the person's message was rude, but I apologize.

I don't understand this question: Do you need an explanation why your move 26 was a waste of time?

#10 · unknown player

16 May 2024

I'm confused as to why move 26 was bad; what could have been done better?

#11 · psikonauta

16 May 2024

add3993 already answered your question:

playing move 26 at A11 is not any better than skipping a turn. the reason is that at this point in the game, A10 and A11 are interchangeable as far as potential connections, and you can always be guaranteed at least one (by just waiting and taking one if your opponent ever takes the other)

It is an unnecessary move, a wasted turn, because your stone at b10 was already securely connected to the side.

If you are interested in improving your game, I recommend this excellent resource, created by HappyHippo: http://www.mseymour.ca/hex_puzzle/

#12 · The_Burglar

16 May 2024

  1. C6 would probably be a game changer {also blocks a black link} with two connection choices in the south west corner and two choices in the centre and just the north east corner to improve

#13 · The_Burglar

16 May 2024

Move 26 that is

#14 · unknown player

16 May 2024

@psikonauta, I love that game.