My hex program

Public forum discussion.

#1 · javerberg

31 May 2026

I created a hex program. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but it was fun. Only 10x10 for now. Will add more sizes.

Please try it and tell me what you think.

https://hexplorer-play.fly.dev

/Magnus Jäverberg

#2 · javerberg

31 May 2026

A clickable link.

/Magnus Jäverberg

#3 · David J Bush

4 Jun 2026

Nice! But it's too strong for me on 10x10. Are larger grid sizes available?

#4 · javerberg

5 Jun 2026

Thanks. Adding more sizes is on the todo list, but I will first spend more time experimenting with 10x10. Right now I'm playing around with q derived policy. With time I intend to support 10 - 15, 17 and 19.

#5 · Carroll

6 Jun 2026

Isn’t Q-learning considered off-policy?
Can you tell more about your program, algorithms, language, and how it compares with existing ones?

#6 · javerberg

6 Jun 2026

Mostly standard alpha go style mcts so far. The training is in python, the rest in c#. Pytorch exports the model as ONNX, and I use that in c# to generate training data. I'm running about a 1000 trees in parallell to get a reasonable batch size, and I don't want to do that in python.

It annoys me that the dirichlet noise and other parameters heavily affect the policy target, so I'm experimenting with q based policy based on the paper "Policy Improvement by Planning With Gumbel".

I haven't tried it against other engines yet. I will, but it's a bit further down the to do list. So many other things I want to do, and not much time. Beside, I'm current spending part of my free time on another project.