Informal Quad tournament

Public forum discussion.

#1 · David J Bush

9 Sep 2024

The Celuch brothers, Alan Hensel, and I will play in a real-time quad tournament on Tuesday the 10th of September, starting at 9 pm CET which is 3 pm in New York and Noon in Los Angeles. This will be on Boardspace.net which requires you to download a Java client. You can download a pdf file from Google Drive which is the English version of a document I wrote for Japanese participants in the online MSO event a few years ago, explaining the Boardspace client and how to register there.

The games will be open for public view. Anyone who shows up is welcome to participate. I want to start the rounds as quickly as possible. A quad is always a 3-round event. The time control will be 20 minutes per player per game with 20 seconds increment per move. If 5 to 7 players play, Swiss system pairings will be used. If there is an odd number of players, someone gets a full point bye each round. More than 7 players means the field is broken into two groups. The top 4 play a round-robin.

The Boardspace discord will be available for us to use one of the voice channels. I will post pairings in the #general text channel there and also in the Boardspace lobby.

Sorry for the short notice. Maybe this will turn into a regular event and I will be able to give you more time to prepare.

#2 · David J Bush

9 Sep 2024

Actually a Java client is not necessary, but the website warns that playing using a browser may be less responsive.

#3 · David J Bush

10 Sep 2024

Maciej Celuch did a clean sweep, winning all three games. I might post some analysis on Board Game Geek.

#4 · Maciej Celuch

11 Sep 2024

David J Bush, thank you for the tournament organization. It was much fun.

#5 · add3993

11 Sep 2024

Commented Twixt games are always very much appreciated, David.

#6 · spd_iv

11 Sep 2024

Yes it was a nice experience, even if I did not play my best games ever :-), I think we can repeat this in some time. For example every 2 weeks. What do you think?

#7 · MisterCat

11 Sep 2024

I worked my way in to BoardSpace, not really knowing what I was doing. I got here, where you CAN VIEW THE GAMES. While the graphics are fine, the viewer controls were driving me nuts - either moving too fast, too slow, etc. I have a feeling that with GRIM DETERMINATION, one can get good at it. Alas, I am not that grimly determined. meow.

https://boardspace.net/twixt/twixt-viewer.shtml

#8 · David J Bush

11 Sep 2024

MC, did you look at the document I provided a link to? See "Google Drive" above. The end of the document talks about accessing the archive.

add3993 thanks for your words of encouragement.

Maciej and spd_iv, I'm glad you enjoyed the experience. I think I could handle doing this once a month. Cosimo would have joined except circumstances prevented it. I hope to persuade Florian to participate as well. The more advance notice I can provide, the better. So my proposed very tentative date is Tuesday the 8th of October at the same time, 9 pm CET. I welcome feedback here and also in the BGG thread. Let me know when would be a good time for you.

#9 · spd_iv

12 Sep 2024

For me 8th October +/- one day works fine.

#10 · David J Bush

2 Oct 2024

Okay the 8th it is. Here is another online document that explains BoardSpace.