Public forum discussion.
5 May 2026
So, I've been playing around a bit with vibe coding recently. To that end, if you notice any new issues with Twixt Commentator, please report them on its new GitHub page: https://github.com/ahensel/twixt-commentator (I won't be offended. I'll just blame the AI!)
99% of this has been refactoring and upgrading to more modern technology, so as a user you shouldn't notice much difference. Extremely observant users may notice these minor new features:
Copy to Clipboard button next to the variation moves
Hovering over a peg highlights it in the sidebar (main or variation moves, not comments)
7 May 2026
Support for Size 30 and Size 48 Twixt boards has been added. (And more potential for defects, of course.)
I figured if Richard has the links to Commentator from Size 30 and 48 games on LG, maybe I should make the links work.
8 May 2026
That 30 & 48 upgrade will be very helpful. You figured right, Alan!
mc
27 May 2026
New feature: Twixt Commentator now natively supports blank boards. I added a button on the main page to open a "New Blank Board".
I did this because about 7.5% of commented games on Twixt Commentator were blank games, meaning that the LG game number was chosen from a list of zero-move games (games that ended with 1.forfeit, for example). This was usually to comment on Twixt games from other sites.
I also converted existing blank games in the database.
This feature supports board sizes from 8 to 52, and also standard rules (link removal).
27 May 2026
Thank you Alan!! I'm pretty sure all of those 7.5% of games were added by me. This makes your site the best for post-mortem. Boardspace recently added grid size 13 to its existing 18 and 24, and Game Center added size 30.
27 May 2026
A few were added by MisterCat. But if I make it easier to do, maybe more people will contribute analyses or questions. On the topic of making it easer, do any of these other Twixt sites have APIs that enable extracting the data for a single game?
27 May 2026
27 May 2026
For Game Center, Arty tells me:
I just regenerated the archive, you can download it here: www.iggamecenter.com/work/twixtarchive.zip
It's a bunch of XML files, each game is a separate XML with the info about the players, their scores and the list of moves.
27 May 2026
27 May 2026
I should add that a few of the Game Center games are row handicap games.
28 May 2026
Growl, Alan. Your new blank board feature makes my few blank boards obsolete. So, meow!
mc
28 May 2026
Abstract Play does not record the swap move in the move list that players see, but it does mention on the game page if the swap move was played. So the player listed as 1st might actually be 2nd.
I believe an example of a long move can be found in the 2021 Boardspace zip file. Look for TW-twixter-guest-2021-06-23-1953.sgf P1 makes several consecutive moves towards the end. I think this corresponds to my link removal example in the BGG document.
I got an error when I click on the link Arty provided for the GC archive. I have emailed him about it.
28 May 2026
I created a new Boardspace game file which demonstrates more link removal and addition. You can find it in the main directory of the archive, not in a zip file, named TW-guest-twixter-2026-05-28-2212.sgf You can also review this game within the Java Client so you can step through each part of each move and see what is happening on the board. Refer to the BGG document I linked to above for instructions on downloading, registration, and logging in. Find a room no one else is using, which usually says Play games. Click on Play games and select review. Click on the game name, select Connection games, then select Twixt. Click on Start and two windows will pop up. Scroll to the bottom of the file selection window to find the game. Click on the indicated icons to get a flat overhead display with flat pegs.

30 May 2026
2 Jun 2026
I added "Swap Style" to the New Blank Board options. I figure that is a good first step.
June is pretty busy for me, so that might be about all for the next month, aside from bug fixes.