Original rules of Twixt

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Richard Malaschitz

27 Sep 2026

twixt rules

#2 · David J Bush

27 Sep 2026

3M published three editions that I know of. Each edition was worded differently with regard to link removal and rearrangement. You can see a magnifiable image at https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1303342/twixt That image is of 3M's final revision, which says

Before placing a peg, a player may, if he desires, carefully remove any pegs and links he has previously placed on the board. However, he should be certain not to remove any pegs and/or links which would give his opponent the advantage.

IMO this is awkward wording. Advising a player not to make a bad move should not be part of the rules per se. But it's the best 3M could come up with.

This paragraph takes up five lines in the image. I cannot read what Richard's corresponding paragraph says, but I notice it is only three lines long, so it must be an earlier edition, which either does not mention link removal at all, or uses the phrase "inactive strategically" to describe where link removal may occur. Apparently the people at 3M thought the only reason for removing links is if you are running out of them.

None of the 3M editions, nor the Avalon Hill edition, mention the pie rule.

#3 · MisterCat

28 Sep 2026

Richard was nice enough to post this page for me here, since I didn't quite know how to do it. Thank you, Richard! In my opinion, the basics here - setups, sample game, etc. are great things for all beginners to study and learn. I have played enough games here with beginning players who don't progress simply because they don't know all this stuff, so, I hope this helps them. And - it's a nice souvenir. Yes - this instruction sheet came with my original 3M Twixt set - which was on view years ago when I arranged my Twixt summit in New York City. Perhaps I'll do another one of those, someday!
(meow)