Connect6 on a larger board, for example 37x37

Public forum discussion.

#1 · Vladek

9 Feb 2021

I find the limitation of the 19x19 board quite annoying, especially when you have to place stones on the edge. The game Go is also offered on a 37x37 board, why not Connect6 too ?

#2 · lazyplayer

9 Feb 2021

Why not Hex too? Vladek, maybe we should get membership before complaining? :)

#3 · Misio

9 Feb 2021

Hello Vladek, this is a very good idea. On the conventional 19x19 board, it is only interesting if the game is decided by a maximum of 50 - 60 moves. After that it gets really boring because you run out of space and you have to play incomprehensible until move 150, until the program reports a draw.

#4 · metzgerism

9 Feb 2021

37x37 won't add depth to most games of C6, at least in my estimation it wouldnt. I'd rather see Richard implement the alternate win condition from ProGomoku.

Not that I wouldn't play on a 37x37, I'd play the crap out of it, I just don't think it changes the vast majority of individual games.

#5 · metzgerism

9 Feb 2021

Apparently this is a different answer than I gave to a similar question six months ago :P

One thing I have noticed about 37x37 Go: the board is too big for most screens to show the whole thing - my primary machine is still a 1366x768, and even though my phone screen is bigger than 1080p...it's a phone.

#6 · Richard Malaschitz

4 Apr 2021

On https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect6 is mentioned size 59x59

#7 · Misio

4 Apr 2021

Why not?  Better than 19x19.